Saturday, June 26, 2010

Drinks?

Paul and I were out looking at the new HTC Hero - which runs the droid operating system - for me for work.


Don't you love that techno language? I don't know what it all means, I'm just repeating what Paul said. 


What I do know is that I love Paul's "droid" and I want one too. Fortunately, Paul is all about the newest gadgets and apps (apps IS a word I do understand) and so shopping with him for stuff like that is quite fun. I love it that we can just go to the store, and that I don't have to worry about understanding what exactly is going on... I can just pick out whatever I like and Paul will tell me if it will work the way I need it to work or not. He'll ask me the questions I would not have thought of: (How do you like the calendar? Does it seem easy to use? Will your nails get in the way of typing on the keyboard?) No thinking on my part. Kinda like going to a car dealership and saying, "Oh! That one is pretty! I like that one!" and not learn anything practical about the damn thing.

This is how I prefer to shop.

Anyways, after our trip to the Verizon store where I got to play with all the cool phones, and Paul and John (no not the Beatles members - my husband and the Verizon guy) talked using language of which most I did not understand - Then my techno-savvy husband and I got in the car to head home to the boys.

Paul: Wanna go have a drink?

pause

Well THAT was spontaneous.

When I sit in my office and daydream about my husband, the word spontaneous does not usually enter my mind. But that's okay. That's why I married him. There are no surprises with Paul. And frankly, when it comes to marriage... I would rather pick someone who doesn't surprise me too much than someone who did. I like knowing what I am dealing with.


Me: A drink?

Paul: Yeah.

Me: Uhm... yeeeaah! Do you even need to ask? I'll call Zach and tell him.

I called.

Me: Hi Zach, it's mom. Your dad and I aren't coming straight home after all. We are going out for a drink.

pause

Zach: A what?

Me: A drink.

pause

Zach: A drink.

Me: Yes.

pause

Zach: (He slowly enunciates the word and speaks more loudly). Drrriiinnnks?

Me: (I also increase my volume). Yeeeessss. Drrriinnnks.

pause

Zach: Like alcohol?

omg

Me: Uh. Yeah. Like alcohol.

pause

Zach: Just the two of you?

Me: Uhm... yeah?

pause

Zach: Alone.

This obviously strikes him as odd. I can't figure out if it is the drinking part, the alone part, or the drinking alone part.

Me: Yes Zach. Just Dad and I. Alone. Out for drinks. Alcoholic drinks.

pause

Zach: Huh.

pause

Me: Do we have your approval?

Zach: Sure.

Me: Okay. See you later.

I turn to Paul.

Me: We have been given the green light by our offspring to go out and act like a couple who has a life outside of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment