Friday, September 25, 2009

Party at the Igloo

Parties just aren't what they used to be.

I picked up Zayd and Ethan from their after-school program. This conversation occurred during the car-ride home:

Zayd: Mom? Are we doing anything tonight?

Me: I don't think so. Do you have homework?

Zayd: No.

Me: I don't think we have anything planned. As long as you have your schoolwork done you should be okay. What's up?

Zayd: I have to be somewhere at 6:30.

Really? He's 9 - where does he think he is going at 6:30?

Me: Okay. Where are you going at 6:30?

Zayd: I'm meeting Cole.

Cole is a friend of his.

Me: How are you meeting Cole?

Zayd: On Club Penguin.

I think I have spoken of this "Club Penguin" before. It's kinda like SIMS for kids. They have a penguin persona, they get together online and meet and do activities such as sledding and such. Zayd is into Club Penguin.

Me: You are meeting Cole on Club Penguin at 6:30.

Zayd: Yeah - at his igloo.

Me: At his igloo?

Zayd: Yeah. He's having a party at his igloo.

pause

What about this statement is so incredibly funny to me? I start giggling... I really try not to, but I can't help myself.

Zayd: (also starting to laugh). Why are you laughing?

Me: I don't know... (now I am really giggling) it just sounds funny to me. That there is a party at Cole's igloo!

Zayd: But there is!

Me: I realize that! It just makes me laugh!

pause

Me: So what do you do at a Club Penguin party? (giggle)

pause

Zayd: We dance. (he give his snort laugh)

pause

Me: Huh. I see.

Zayd: And we play guitar and sing.

I think I want to go to Cole's igloo party.

-----------------------------

That night Zayd comes up to my bedroom with a sour face.

Zayd: (heavy sigh)

Me: What's wrong.

Zayd: Well... there wasn't a party at the igloo tonight. We were supposed to decorate for the party.

Now this is really getting beyond my grasp.

Me: Oh... and you are disappointed?

Zayd: Well yeah! I thought the party was tonight and now it's tomorrow!

Me: Well at least there is a party tomorrow!

Zayd: Yeah, but I don't know if I can go tomorrow!

Me: Okay. Why can't you go tomorrow?

Zayd: Well, I don't know if you and dad will let me.

Ah....

Me: I'll talk to your dad about it. As long as you have your schoolwork and chores done, I don't see any reason why you can't go to Cole's party.

Zayd: (still sourish face - but with a hint of relief). Okay.

pause

Me: Wouldn't it just be easier if you have a party at your igloo?

Zayd: No. That won't work.

Me: Why?

Zayd: I don't have enough stuff to have a party. You need stuff in your igloo to have a party - and I haven't bought enough stuff.

Wow. Even in Club Penguin you have to keep up with the Joneses.


No comments:

Post a Comment