Monday, May 31, 2010

... and baby makes 8

I walk into Zayd and Ethan's bedroom several nights ago to tuck them into bed.

Ethan: Mom! Let's have another baby!

Uhhhh... excuse me?

Me: Uhhhh... Excuse me?

Ethan: I think we should have another baby so there are 7 people in our family... oh. No! Eight! Including Mollie.

Me: That's a big family. Do we have room in the house for another baby?

Ethan: Sure we do!

Me: Really? Huh. Where would we put the baby?

Ethan: Uhm.... (he thinks for about 15 seconds)... Uhm... let's just add another room next to our room and she can sleep in there.

Me: Oh. Are we having a girl baby?

He tries to hide an embarrassed smile...

Ethan: Noooo... welllll... Yes. Mom, we need a girl baby. We don't have any girls in this family.

Me: I'm a girl.

Ethan: No. You're a mom.

Me: A mom is a girl.

Ethan: Noooo...

Me: Okay, fine. What will we name her?

Ethan: Uhm.... (now he is sitting up in bed). I know! How about Taylor!?

Zayd finally speaks up from the next bed.

Zayd: Ethan. Do you want mom to get fat?

Ethan: Oh. (He looks at me). No.

Zayd: Mom. Do you want to get fat?

Me: Well... I don't want to have another baby.

Ethan: Why not!?

Me: Babies are a lot of work.

Ethan: I'll help you.

pause

Ethan: But I won't change diapers.

Me: Hmmm... I don't think I can change all the diapers. Babies go through a lot of diapers.

Ethan: Okay fine (sigh). I'll change diapers. But you have to teach me how.

Me: No Ethan. We are not going to have another baby.

Ethan: Pleeaaazzzeee!

Me: No babies Ethan. Mom is done having babies. But when you grow up, you and your love can have a baby.

pause

He thinks about that for a moment.

Ethan: How about this -- When I grow up and you get little, I'll take care of you.

pause

Me: Okay. That sounds good.

I wonder if diapers are part of the deal?

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of when my daughter, then only 4, asked for a baby. When I told her no, she asked to go buy one... NO... When that didn't work, she wanted to know if we could just go take one from someone... NOOOO!!!!! kids!

    ReplyDelete