Monday, October 26, 2009

Fire Drill

Tonight I led my Tiger Cub Den in a meeting and we worked on our "Keeping Myself Healthy and Safe" badge, or bead, or activity... or whatever it is called.

I had home fire escape plan grids printed out so each parent and tiger cub could work on their plan.

Here is how my discussion with Ethan went:

Me: Okay. So we need to make sure that there are two ways to get out of each room.

Ethan twirls his pencil and stares at the kid next to me.

Me: Ethan? Ethan?

pause

Ethan: Huh?

Me: Ethan. Let's start with your bedroom. What are two ways out of your bedroom?

Ethan: The door and the window.

Whew. Okay. This is good.

Me: Right! Good! Okay. So... let's say you had to go out the window. That would be kinda hard wouldn't it?

Ethan: No.

Me: No?

Ethan: No.

Me: Why no?

Ethan: We would just open the window and go out.

Me: But the window is really high up hon. You can't just jump out.

Ethan: Yes I can.


Okay - this isn't going so well.

Me: No. What would happen if you jumped out of the window?

Ethan: Nothing.

pause

Me: Well - no. You would break your leg if you jumped out of the window. You shouldn't jump out of the window. Okay? Ethan? Ethan? Look at me. Look at me!

Ethan: What?

Me: Do NOT jump out the window. Understand?

He stares at me blankly.

Me: Ethan, what would be a good thing to have if you need to get out of the house through the window safely?

pause

Ethan: A band-aid.

pause

Me: A band-aid.

pause

Me: Why would you need a band-aid?

Ethan: 'Cause I jumped out the window and broke my leg.

Holy crap. 

Me: No. A band-aid isn't going to help you. Listen Ethan. What would help you get out of the window? Can you think of something that would be helpful? A safe way to get down from that high up?

pause

Ethan: Hmmmm... he puts his pointy finger on his lips.  I know! A pillow!

omg

Me: No - not a pillow. And not a band-aid.

I'm now listening to the other tiger cubs around me. They seem to be getting this. The twin boys next to us came up with "rope ladder" on their own. I obviously need to help Ethan more.

Me: How about a ladder!?

Ethan: No. No. A ladder won't work.

Me: What? Why not?

Ethan: Because the ladder is in the garage.

Me: Not that kind of ladder Ethan. There is something called a rope ladder.


pause

Ethan: No. It won't work.

Me: Yes it will work Ethan. A rope ladder is what we need to help you get out of your room through the window.

Ethan: Mom. A ladder is too big to fit in my room. And ladders are dangerous.

pause

Ladders are dangerous to climb, but pillows are safe to land on. 


Holy crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment