Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ditch

Tonight, I played ditch with a bunch of 14-year-olds and my two youngest children.

It's like tag... sorta - but instead of confining it to your front or backyard, you have most of the neighborhood to run around.

This is what I learned:

1. When I am scared, I can outrun a 14-year-old boy.

2. While I can outrun them, I cannot out-maneuver them.

3. The Bladholm's backyard, (two doors down), has a ton of great hiding spots... and a lovely garden too.

4. As a mother, I would never leave my child behind to fend for himself. However during a game of ditch, I will leave my 5-year-old behind in order to save myself.

5. If a successful tag means a kid might get pushed into the golf-course pond, my maternal instinct kick in and I won't tag them. This seems to fly in the face of #4 - I haven't figured out what the distinction is for me.

6. Dad's rule is that Ethan is NOT allowed to be on the golf course during a game of ditch.

7. Mom's rule is that Ethan IS allowed to be on the golf course during a game of ditch.

8. Some 14-year-old girls are quite developed.

9. #8 kinda makes me nervous.

10. Now I know what Ethan is doing when he doesn't bother to wipe his butt or go to the toilet.



No comments:

Post a Comment