It's like tag... sorta - but instead of confining it to your front or backyard, you have most of the neighborhood to run around.
This is what I learned:
1. When I am scared, I can outrun a 14-year-old boy.
2. While I can outrun them, I cannot out-maneuver them.
3. The Bladholm's backyard, (two doors down), has a ton of great hiding spots... and a lovely garden too.
4. As a mother, I would never leave my child behind to fend for himself. However during a game of ditch, I will leave my 5-year-old behind in order to save myself.
5. If a successful tag means a kid might get pushed into the golf-course pond, my maternal instinct kick in and I won't tag them. This seems to fly in the face of #4 - I haven't figured out what the distinction is for me.
6. Dad's rule is that Ethan is NOT allowed to be on the golf course during a game of ditch.
7. Mom's rule is that Ethan IS allowed to be on the golf course during a game of ditch.
8. Some 14-year-old girls are quite developed.
9. #8 kinda makes me nervous.
10. Now I know what Ethan is doing when he doesn't bother to wipe his butt or go to the toilet.