Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Just across nid-might

Tonight Paul and I took Evan, Zayd and Ethan to the Holiday Lights Parade in downtown Fargo. It was a balmy 38 degrees - many years we are bundled up in snowsuits watching the parade. This year the kids didn't even need gloves - so they were able to scoop up lots of candy.

As Zayd noted, "It's like Halloween all over again!"

After we got home and dressed in our pajamas... Ethan crawled into bed with me.

Ethan: Is it okay if I ate 10 candies?

Me: Don't eat 10 candies... you'll get a stomach ache.

Ethan: How about 9 candies?

Me: That's too much too.

Ethan: How many candies can I eat?

Me: How about five candies.

Ethan: If I eat six will I puke?

Me: What?

Ethan: Will I throw up?

Me: I don't think so - it's just not good to eat too much candy before bedtime.

Ethan: Okay.

pause

Ethan: Will you warm my feet?

He plops both his feet in my lap. And I warm them up with my hands.

Ethan: I know what will warm them up too!

He gets under the covers and snuggles right up against me.

Ethan: Mom? Can I sleep here tonight?

Me: No. You can stay here for a while and then I'll put you to bed.

Ethan: But I want to sleep here... in your cozy bed... with your cozy pillows... and your cozy covers.

Me: Wow. Is my bed THAT cozy?

Ethan: Yeth.

Me: Ohhhh... I'm glad you think so, but I'm sorry. No. You can't sleep here tonight. You need to rest in your own bed.

Ethan: Between you and dad...?

Me: Hmmm...

Ethan: He won't feel me.

Me: He won't?

Ethan: No.

pause

Ethan: Can I stay until nid-might?

Me: Nid-might?

Ethan: I mean mid-night. Can I stay until midnight?

Me: That's a long time.

Ethan: Okay how about just across from midnight?

Me: Hmmm... just across huh?

Ethan: Yeth.

Me: How long is just across midnight?

Ethan: It's just a little long. Not a lot long.

Me: Well... maybe you can stay a little long.

Ethan: Can you hide me? Cause if dad sees me, he'll make me go to my bed.

Me: Where should I hide you?

Ethan: Right here next to you.

Me: Okay. If you lie really still... maybe he won't notice you.

Ethan: But what about my head! He'll see my head sticking out of the covers!

Me: I'll hide your head.

Ethan: If he gets here quick, can you hide me under the covers?

Me: Sure.

Ethan: What if he finds out I'm under the bed?

Me: You're going to be under the bed?

Ethan: I mean, what if he finds out I'm under the covers?

Me: Well... he might find out.

Ethan: Will you tell him that I am sleeping here with you tonight?

Me: I'll tell him.

Ethan: Good.

It took him about 2 minutes to fall asleep. He looks so sweet and peaceful.


Maybe Paul wouldn't notice if he stayed?

No comments:

Post a Comment