Saturday, February 6, 2010

My little nurturer

Ethan is such a nurturer.

Today I am working on my dissertation at the dining room table. He comes in with a big loaf of sandwich bread - the plastic bag it's in is tied in a knot.

Ethan: Mom? Will you please open this for me?

Me: Okay. (I struggle with the knot). Did you tighten the knot Ethan?

Ethan: Yeah.

Me: That's okay. It will just take me a minute to undo it.

As I continue to struggle with the knot (the long nails do not help)... Ethan begins to rub my shoulder with his hand. He says, in a very calm voice...

Ethan: Take it easy mom... just take it easy. There's no reason to fight with it. Just take it easy.

omg - he is so funny.

A little later on he comes in to check on my progress. Again his hand goes to my shoulder... and he begins to rub it and my arm.

Ethan: So! How are you doing on your paper mom? (He asks in a very upbeat voice).

Me: It is coming along very well Ethan - thanks for asking.


pause

He is still rubbing my arm.

Ethan: Uhm... so.... do you need anything?

Me: Ohhh... that's so nice of you to ask me! No. I am fine.

pause

He watches me for a minute.

Ethan: Well okay then. I love you!

He gives me a kiss and off he goes.

What a sweetheart my baby is! I hope he doesn't grow out of it.

1 comment:

  1. He is just like my 7-year-old, Najla, and I am loving it up as well,and hoping (please please) that he doesn't grow out of it.

    ReplyDelete