Sunday, December 20, 2009

Random Ramblings

Some random ramblings from our weekend.

Paul shoveled the snow off the pond so the boys could skate and play hockey this winter. I've probably mentioned this before, but we live on the 5th tee of a golf course and we have a beautiful, huge backyard. Just outside our back gate is a pond. It really is lovely scenery for a house in-town.

A few winter's ago, Paul decided that the pond should be cleared off so the boys would have something fun to do in during the cold months. He didn't tell me about his plan, I just looked out the window and there he was - with the snowblower, on the pond. Later that day, his dad brought over an agar to try to flood the pond so it would be super smooth. It didn't work. But luckily, the pond was smooth enough to skate on...

When he cleared the pond that first year, Ethan was only 3 - so it was important to have some mode of communication between the house and the pond. Walkie talkies came in very handy, along with some soccer chairs. Ethan would get tired and sit on the chair... and if he was headed towards the house, I'd get a call.

It also proved handy for the older boys. Paul and I could sit in the sunroom and enjoy a quiet conversation, keep and eye on the kids, and know that they'd call us on the walkie talkie if there was a problem.

Honestly, Paul is out there as much as the kids are... and now the pond has become a bit of a local spot for the kids in the neighborhood.

****

My dad and I are very close. I feel comfortable telling him everything that is going on in my life. Always have. If I am struggling with something, unsure of how to handle a situation, or just need to vent - I can always ALWAYS count on him to listen and offer advice.

This weekend, he was alone - my brother came to town to take my mom on an antique roadtrip as her birthday present. This gave me a chance to call my dad and just hang out with him. Zach and I went out to dinner with him one night, and this afternoon dad and I went to Barnes and Noble to chat over a cup of coffee.

I could write a book about my dad... and what he has taught me. But not tonight.

It was just really nice to spend time with him this weekend.

****

Zach and I went shopping this weekend for some jeans for him. Since September he has grown several inches. However, he has not expanded. Do you know how hard it is to find jeans in a 26 inch waist and 28 inch inseam? For a while, I wasn't sure what we were going to do. Everything that fit in the waist was about 2 inches too short -- even when he wore the jeans around his hips (which I hate, but whatever).

Finally we scored and found Levi's Slims 26x28. I bought the only two pairs we could find. Then I told him to gain some weight for God's sake. If he is going to grow into a 30 inch inseam, his waist has got to be 28 - or we are in some deep do-do.

Zach has always been a snazzy dresser. While we were out shopping he spotted some stuff that he thought would look good on his 11-year-old brother, Evan. Evan is now in middle school - so dressing well has become more important.

Zach picked out some shirts and jeans for Evan... and we went home. Then, (and I thought this was particularly nice), Zach spent about an hour with Evan, showing him how to put it all together -- along with some of his other clothes.

It leaves me hope that indeed, they do care about each other and will look out for each other as they get older.

***

Ethan - who is always a little lover - was particularly lovey today. After I got home from coffee with my dad, he ran to me and gave me the biggest hug. He led me to the couch, sat me down, and made himself comfortable in my lap.

He sorta wiggled himself into a position where I had to cradle him -- when the kissing commenced. Random kisses on the cheek, hand, and forehead accompanied by at least a half dozen "I love yous," and several compliments on the way I smelled. He sure knows how to flatter a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment