Sunday, December 20, 2009

Scaramouche




Ethan spent much of yesterday singing parts of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. In particular:

Ethan: I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me...

Followed by...

Ethan: Scaramouche! Scaramouche! Scaramouche!

Anyways... for a bunch of reasons I'm not going to get into, Zach and I ended up picking up my dad to go out to eat for dinner.

As we are sitting in my dad's driveway in the car, waiting for him to come out, I say to Zach...

Me: Zach? Do you have any idea why Ethan was singing a Queen song today? He kept singing "I'm a poor boy" and "Scaramouche! Scaramouche!"

Zach: (laughs)... yeah. I taught him that. Pretty funny.

Me: It was funny. I figured it was you.

Zach: It was...

My father comes out from his house and gets into my car.

Me: Hey Dad. What were you doing?

Dad: Oh... I was just watching a movie called Scaramouche from 1952. It reminded me of when I was in school in Turkey...

Pretty much all I heard was Scaramouche. I turned and looked at Zach whose mouth was hanging open.

Me: Dad. Stop. What? What is the movie called?

Dad: Scaramouche.

Me: Are you kidding me?

Dad: No! An old movie with Janet Leigh and there is swordfighting which reminded me of the time in Turkey when my friend and I had to take a class....

I lost track of what he was saying.

Zach and I stopped him and explained that we were JUST talking and used the word scaramouche.

Me: Oh my God Dad! Isn't that weird?!

Dad: It is weird.

Isn't that freaky? I mean, it's not like Scaramouche is a word people just throw around everyday.

...and I checked. There is a movie from 1952 called Scaramouche. A remake of the original made in 1923:



Which is based on a historical novel written in 1921 by Rafael Sabatini. A a romantic adventure about a young lawyer during the French Revolution. The lawyer, through a series of follies, becomes an actor playing "Scaramouche" in a comedy play. There's a lot more to it... but you'll just have to Bing or Google or Yahoo or whatever you want to do to find out more.




No comments:

Post a Comment