Monday, August 3, 2009

Food=Love

I made my boys fall in love with me all over again.

I went grocery shopping.

Seriously. That's what did it.

Paul and I pretty much grocery shop every day - on the way home from work, one of us stops by the store to get stuff for dinner that night and a few other items we might need. The boys go through food so fast, we can't keep up unless we do it nightly.

But today, I dropped about $150 at the store - this MAY last us three days. MAY. Ethan went with me to help.

He was very helpful in spotting "Dippin' Dots" on sale for 2 for $1. Oh - and the pickles.

So we arrived home with our load and I called the boys out to help me carry stuff into the kitchen.

Evan: Holy! Mom! You were gone so long! What were you doing?

Me: Grocery shopping - I told you that is what we were doing.

Evan: But for so long?

Me: I was gone a half hour.

Ethan: We got DIPPIN' DOTS!

Evan: Really? Where did you find Dippin' Dots?

Ethan: She founded them in the store and I picked out eight of them. But you can only have two.

Zayd comes out

Zayd: Did someone say DIPPIN' DOTS?

Ethan insisted on holding the plastic bag with the Dippin' Dots in his lap during the car ride, rather than packing it in the trunk. So he was holding on to the bag as if he manufactured the Dippin' Dots on his own.

Ethan: Yes! We got Dippin' Dots at Cashwise! I gotted them! You get two. Only two.

Zayd: Let me see!

Ethan opens up the plastic bag and shows off the purchase with pride. Zayd pretty much puts his face inside the bag to look.

Zayd: HOLY!

I popped open the trunk and the love fest hit a new level.

Zayd: Oh MY GOD MOM! What did you BUY!?

Evan: Sheez Mom!

Me: Food.

Zayd: But SO MUCH! I'm SO EXCITED!

Evan: I'm going to see what else she's got! He runs inside with a couple of bags.

Zachary comes out.

Zachary: You were gone a while.

Good God.

Me: Just help me Zach, please?

Zach: I'm just saying.

All the bags and boys go inside ahead of me, while I close the trunk and grab my purse. I walk into the kitchen and they are unpacking grocery bags like it is Christmas.

Zayd: You bought ASPARAGUS! I LOVE YOU MOM! I LOVE YOU!

Me: Zayd! It's not like we've never had asparagus before.

Zayd: I know! But I love it so much and it's here now. Right here on the counter!

This is getting ridiculous.

I pull out a couple of boxes of Little Debbie's. I don't buy these often, because the boys will plow through one box in five minutes. If I buy two boxes, they are gone in 10. You simply can't stockpile food at our house. I even have to hide food if I want something for later.

The oooo's and aaaaaah's begin.

Zach: Oh my God mom. Seriously. Seriously? I love you. I love you.

pause

Zach: I love you.

pause

Me: Okay. Now listen to me. I want these Debbies to last three days. I think you can live on two Little Debbies a day. If you guys go through these any faster - I will not buy them again. Understand?

They are all gathered around the kitchen island listening to me. Zayd is listening with the most serious look on his face.

Me: So everyone understands?

Everyone nods.

Zach: So what are we having for dinner tonight?

Me: Well, I was craving steak - so I thought we'd grill steak, have roasted asparagus, melon and tossed salad.

Zayd: Oh MY GOD! I LOVE THOSE THINGS!

Me: Ooookaaayyyy. Thank you Zayd. I'm glad you are happy.

Ethan: Can I have my Dippin' Dots for dessert?

Me: Yes, as long as you eat your dinner, you can have Dippin' Dots.

Zayd: WE CAN HAVE DIPPIN' DOTS for DESSERT!?

Zayd can be quite expressive.

Me: Yes.

Ethan: Yyyyes!

Zayd: Whooooo hooooo!

Zayd and Ethan bound out of the kitchen hooting and hollering.

Evan comes up to me and hugs me.

Evan: Thank you mom for buying all this stuff we like.

Me: Don't we always buy you guys stuff you like?

pause

Evan: Well yeah. But not all at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment