Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The Funeral

I called home just a minute ago to ask Saint Sitter for something.

The commotion in the background was loud - even over the phone.

Me: What is going on? 

S.S.: Oh, we've just had an active morning.

She says this with her usual patient, unalarming tone. This is one of the many reasons I love her.

Me: Are you okay?

I do worry about her safety regularly.

SS: Oh yes. I'm fine. They're fine. We've just had a busy morning.

Me: What did you do?

SS: Well, we just finished having a funeral for Evan.

Me: What?

SS: Zayd and I carried Evan up from the basement, because Evan said he was dead. We put Evan in the sandbox.

pause

SS: And Zayd sang "Amazing Grace."

double pause

SS: And Ethan put sand in Evan's pants to "make it soft."

Me: A funeral? How long did this thing last?

SS: It was a pretty good funeral - about 15 minutes.

pause

Me: Okay. Well. Then. I'm glad everyone's having a good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment