Monday, August 31, 2009

Smooth talker

Zach makes me laugh so much. He is really a great kid.

Tonight I decided to go look at carpet for our living room. Zach eagerly announces he'll go with me. I am standing at the kitchen counter flipping through the phone book. Zach and I carry on the following conversation looking straight ahead - and not each other.

Me: Why do you want to go carpet shopping?

Zach: Because. I just want to go.

pause

Me: You won't have fun.

Zach: Yes I will. Just let me come with you.

pause

Me: I am not taking you anywhere.

pause

Zach: You are beautiful. You know that?

Me: Zaach...

Zach: I'm just saying! I'm just throwing that out on the table.

Me: Zach. I am not taking you anywhere.

pause

I feel a hand stroking my back.

Me: ZACH! I'm serious. I am going carpet shopping and nothing else.

pause

Zach: I love you mom.

Me: (sigh)

Zach: I mean that. I don't tell you that enough.

Me: Zach!

Zach: I'm just saying!

pause

Me: Where do you want to go.

Zach: Just to Cashwise. You don't even have to go in with me. I just don't want to ride my bike there.

Me: (sigh)

His hand goes to my back again.

Me: Knock it off!

pause

Zach: I love you.

pause

Me: Fine. I'll take you to Cashwise.

I'm such a pushover for a smooth talker.


No comments:

Post a Comment