Saturday, January 2, 2010

Ethan Time

When Grayson first came to visit earlier this week, Ethan took pride in being the "older" cousin. He was like a mother duck... herding Grayson around, hugging him, helping him navigate the great big Amundson house.

Yeah. The novelty has officially worn off.

Yesterday afternoon Ethan was sobbing because while he was playing with his Lite Brite, Grayson wanted to share.

This morning, Ethan and Grayson were at the kitchen table with Ethan's new art set. Grayson was busily coloring away... and Ethan just sat there - staring straight ahead.

Me: What's wrong Ethan?

Ethan: I don't want to play with Grayson.

Me: Well you aren't playing with Grayson. You are both coloring and sharing the art supplies.

Ethan: But I don't want him next to me.

Me: Then sit here (I point to another chair at the table).

Ethan: I want him to sit up there. (He points to the breakfast bar).

Me: Ethan. Knock it off.

Ethan mumbles something.

Me: What? What did you say?

Ethan mumbles something again.

I bend in closer to hear.

Me: What did you say?

Ethan whispers: I don't want him here anymore.

Me: Ethan.

Ethan: What!?

Me: How old are you?

Ethan: Three!

Me: Well you sure are acting like you are three!

Ethan grunts as me.

Me: They are leaving tomorrow morning. This is the last day they will be here to play.

Ethan: (yells) But I want some Ethan time! I need Ethan time!

I bite my lip and look over at Paul and my sister, who are both looking away so we all don't laugh.

Me: If you want Ethan time, you can have it in your room.

pause

Ethan looks at me like I am a complete traitor. His eyes fill up with tears, but he is too proud to cry in front of all of us.

He gets up and walks out of the kitchen. We hear him walk up the stairs. A few moments later... we all hear the door slam.

sigh

It is hard for the baby not to be the baby. It is hard for the mommy too.

No comments:

Post a Comment